Get your “duck” faces and your TikTok dances ready - we’re talking about hyperlocal social media marketing today!
Hyperlocal social media marketing is becoming a primary focus in 2023 for reaching customers within a specific geographic area.
Digital marketing experts (like Mikayla and I) and even small business owners are now using hyperlocal social media strategies to target potential customers within a 10-mile radius of their businesses.
If you've ever wondered how to reach that lovely group of locals who live just around the corner from your business, you're in the right spot.
Don’t worry, it won’t involve you needing to dance awkwardly and point to imaginary text bubbles.
Let's dive in and explore how this can be a game-changer for your local business.
What Is Hyperlocal Social Media Marketing?
In simple terms, hyperlocal social media marketing is a social media marketing strategy that focuses on targeting potential customers in a specific local geographical area using different social media platforms.
It's all about focusing your marketing efforts on a very specific geographic area – think your town, city block, or even the street your business is on.
Instead of shouting into the vast void of the internet, you're tailoring your message to resonate with the people right in your backyard.
At its core, hyperlocal social media marketing is about cultivating a digital sense of neighborhood.
To paint an even better image of what this social media strategy looks like - imagine sitting on your front porch, waving to passing neighbors, and discussing local happenings.
You’re talking with people about the Farmer’s Market coming up or maybe how the 2023 Miami Dolphins have one of the most electrifying offenses ever.
I like your imaginary neighbors - they’re smart people!
Now, transition that whole imaginary scene to the digital realm. This type of social media strategy zeroes in on a precise geographic location — whether that's your neighborhood, the street your store is on, or the entire town.
Unlike the broad, one-size-fits-all approach of general online marketing, hyperlocal marketing is like crafting a personalized note for each neighbor.
You're not just broadcasting a message - you're initiating a conversation, ensuring that what you say holds genuine relevance for your local audience.
It's a way to create local, meaningful connections in an era dominated by digital interactions.
Benefits of Hyperlocal Social Media Marketing
So you know what this type of social media marketing is, but why should you care about it?
Get ready for my handy-dandy, numbered list of the benefits of hyperlocal social media marketing:
- Community Building: When you share local events or shout out other neighborhood businesses, you're not just providing them with free advertising - you're fostering a sense of togetherness and community spirit.
- Meaningful Engagement: Talking directly to your local audience means you're more likely to strike a chord with them. They'll appreciate the relevant content you’re sharing which will lead to more meaningful interactions.
- Better Conversions: Your next customer could be living a block away. By focusing on the local crowd, you're reaching out to people you’re more likely to meet at a local networking event or even sit next to at a hometown sporting event. There’s nothing better than introducing yourself to someone and they already know who you are.
- Cost-Effective: Believe it or not, going local can save you money. *Every entrepreneur’s ears reading this blog quickly perk up. Targeted marketing often means spending less with better results - more bang for your buck!
- Enhanced Customer Loyalty: Creating content on social media that is specific to a local area can help people feel like they belong. This can make them more likely to come back and be loyal customers.
- Adaptability: Being connected to the local market allows you to adjust your strategies quickly based on local trends or events, which helps your business stay relevant and interesting.
- Supporting Local Economy: By connecting with people and businesses in your community, you help support the local economy and make a positive impact that goes beyond just your own business.
How To Get Started With It
I know everything sounds all holly and jolly, but I understand if the thought of jumping into hyperlocal social media marketing seems daunting.
This type of social media strategy can be a little intimidating at first, but super rewarding once you get the hang of it.
Here are some steps you can take to help you get started with it:
- Know Your Neighbors: Understand who's living around you. Are they young families, students, retirees? This will help tailor your message and your content.
- Pick Your Platforms Wisely: If your target audience is young, platforms like Instagram or TikTok might be the most suitable option. If they are older, Facebook might be the preferred choice.
- Engage With Local Events: Is there a town fair happening soon or a local farmer’s market about to open for the season? Participate in these types of events and show your involvement in the community on your social media channels.
- Use Local Hashtags: This is an online version of a community notice board. Use relevant hashtags and location tags so that people in the area know where you frequent most.
- Create Local Partnerships: Work with nearby businesses or local influencers. Collaborations can improve your visibility in the local area and expand your audience.
- Consistent Communication: Keep your content up to date and interact with your audience. Being consistent will help you build a loyal community.
How We Use It For Us
Believe it or not, our hyperlocal social media strategy doesn’t start on social media.
It starts with our blog.
Let me walk you through the exact process Mikayla and I do to help us connect with people in our local area.
- Keyword Research: The best way to create relevant content is to create content using the exact words people are using to get information. I love using SEMrush for my keyword research. It provides me with actual data on how many monthly searches specific keywords get. I like to find keywords that have high search volume, low competition, keyword difficulty of less than 49%, and have Informational search intent.
- Write A Blog: Once I have my keyword chosen, I like to look at how the people who show up in the top search results are writing using the keyword. This helps me get inspiration and create an outline for the blog I’m about to write. Once I begin writing, I always make sure to include the keyword in my Heading 1 and within the first 100 words of the blog.
- Create 4 Social Media Posts: This is where Mikayla, my better half, comes in and crushes our hyperlocal social media strategy. She uses my masterfully written blog to create 4 different types of social media posts (ie. static posts, reels, carousels, etc.) She loves doing reels since they are proven to get the most reach. She uses the following formula with all of her reels: 3 Second Hook - 15 Seconds of value-driven content - 3-second CTA.
- Write An Email: As Mikayla is in her social content creation space, I begin drafting up an email promoting our new blog. Take a peek at what our emails look like and while you’re there don’t be afraid to sign up for the resource we’re promoting on there!
This is how Mikayla and I get our hyperlocal social media strategy executed week in and week out. It's a good amount of work, but the payoff that we have seen makes it all worth it.
Hyperlocal social media marketing is like stepping into your favorite neighborhood cafe - a place that feels like home, where you're greeted with warmth and familiarity.
It's about more than just marketing; it's about building genuine relationships, fostering trust, and truly understanding the heartbeat of your local community.
When you do that, it’s a game-changer for you and your business.
Does reading this blog make you want to level up your business? Let's huddle up and work together to get your business into victory formation!